- Designed for guitars with magnetic and piezo pickups
- Footswitch control over pickups for on-stage efficiency
- Individual stage amplifier outputs for each pickup
- Built in Radial direct box for piezo to feed sound system
- Always 'on' buffered tuner output for quiet on-stage tuning
There are two channels: one for electric and one for piezo. The PZ-DI will accept either a stereo ¼" TRS or two mono ¼" connectors. The magnetic pickup channel is class-A buffered and equipped with Drag™ Control load correction for optimum signal transfer. This innovative feature allows the user to adjust the load on the pickup so that it sounds 'true-bypass' as if connected to an amp without the usual pops and noise associated with true-bypass pedals. The electric channel is equipped with its own stage amp output and on-off selector switch.
The piezo channel begins with three position high-pass (lo cut) and low-pass (hi-cut) filters to tame the often brittle tone that is associated with piezo transducers. For greater control, the piezo channel also features a dedicated effects loop to allow an EQ or reverb to be added
without affecting the electric guitar signal path. Since many artists employ a dedicated acoustic amp on stage, the piezo channel has a separate stage amp output plus a balanced low-Z direct box output to feed the PA system. Each of these is equipped with a ground lift switch
to help eliminate buzz and hum caused by ground loops. The XLR out is also equipped with a polarity reverse to help phase align the PA, monitors and on-stage sound.
Selecting channels is simply a matter of depressing the associated footswitch. Bright full-sized LEDs provide visual clarity under stage lights to show the selected channel. Even when off, the signal from both pickups are combined and sent to the tuner out for quiet on stage adjustments. The flexible design also allows it to be used as a simple on-stage instrument selector for those that want to switch between an electric guitar or bass and an acoustic or upright. Made 'Radial tough', the PZ-DI features 14 gauge steel construction for maximum durability and is finished in a rugged baked enamel finish. Powering comes from the included 15VDC supply.
The Radial PZ-DI is a compact pedal that delivers efficient control of your guitar and lets you quietly feed on your stage amps, tuner and the PA system at the same time.
Application: Fender® Acoustasonic ® with dual 1/4" cables:
Other dual output guitars, such as the Fender Acoustasonic® Telecaster® depicted here, utilise a TRS output into a 'Y' cable to allow each pickup's signal to be treated separately.
In this setup:
- The guitar's TRS output is 'Y'd separately into the Magnetic in and Piezo in
- Separate Piezo and 'Magnetic' outputs feed separate amps
- The PZ-DI's EQ filters give you much greater control over your acoustic sound
- 180º polarity reverse switch lets you get both amps working in phase
- Effects loop can be added to enhance the piezo signal if desired
- Buffered tuner out lets you tune any time, with or without mute
- Transformer isolation, ground lift kill hum and buzz caused by ground loops
Application with two separate instruments:
Any two instruments can be used with the PZ-ZI, one with magnetic pickup and one with piezo. This makes instrument changes on stage a breeze. EQ and level can be setup beforehand so you simply mute one instrument, activate the other and boom—you're done!
In this setup:
- A Fender Stratocaster® is plugged into the 'Magnetic' input
- Separate 'Magnetic' output feeds electric amp
- A Ramirez® Classic guitar with acoustic bridge pickup is plugged into the piezo input
- The piezo XLR DI output feeds the PA system and the piezo amp output is not used
- Drag™ control pickup load correction on magnetic channel for best tone
- EQ filters and effects loop allow the tuning of provided for piezo channel
- Buffered tuner out lets tuner sit unobtrusively out of the signal path ready to use
- Transformer isolation and ground lift kills hum and buzz caused by ground loops